Citizen Action of New York is a statewide grassroots membership organization that fights for social, racial, environmental and economic justice. We organize in local communities to build power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions in communities across New York to win on key issues and elect progressive candidates at the local, state and federal levels.
Citizen Action of New York is seeking a Communications Manager to serve out of our Albany office. The primary responsibilities of the Communications Manager include playing a key role in developing and executing the organization’s communications strategies, with a specific focus on press relations.
- Leading the development of statewide and local press strategies for the advancement of our issue and electoral campaigns, in collaboration with our issue and organizing staff
- Serving as our organization’s primary point of contact for reporters
- Writing documents for press distribution, pitching stories to press
- Providing press support for our eight chapters and affiliates, serving as the primary point of contact for organizing staff and volunteers in our chapters to execute press outreach for local events and campaigns
- Maintaining outreach lists of reporters and editors
- Developing relationships with reporters and editors across the state
- Producing regular reports on press coverage regarding our organization, issue campaigns, and endorsed candidates
- Maintain portions of organization’s website, including collecting and posting news clips, and creating other content as necessary
- Be part of the communications team that develops a consistent stream of quality content for both membership and general public consumption. This includes writing daily blog material and frequent use of Facebook and Twitter.
An ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Two to four years experience in political or non-profit communications
- Well versed in New York State politics
- Knowledge of and relationships with New York reporters and press outlets
- Skills with website development and graphic design a plus
- Experience using Adobe design software, including Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator a plus
- Experience using social media services on behalf of organizations
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to write high quality content quickly
- Ability to manage a multitude of tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to progressive change, movement-building and working in a multi-racial, multi-cultural environment
- Willingness to work long or irregular hours, attend evening and weekend events, and travel, as necessary
This position is based in Albany, and reports to the Managing Director.
Salary and benefits: Citizen Action of New York offers competitive salaries and a full benefits package.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply: Please upload your cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and two references.