Community Organizer, Rochester
Citizen Action of New York is one of the fastest-growing statewide grassroots organizations in the country. We fight for social, racial, environmental and economic justice, and an America that works for all of us. Our organizing campaigns focus on issues such as jobs, education, health care, campaign finance reform, progressive taxation, and consumer issues. We have won significant improvements in New Yorkers’ lives, and we have elected progressive candidates to office.
We are currently seeking an ORGANIZER to focus on education. At the local level the organizer will focus on the Solutions not Suspension campaign with our affiliate, Metro Justice, in Rochester, New York. At the state level, the organizer will be working with the Alliance for Quality Education to ensure that our public schools are funded equitably in order to achieve the demand of the state constitution for a sound, basic education for all students.
- Implement a variety of campaigns and projects
- Recruit, coordinate, and supervise volunteers and interns
- Attract and recruit prospective dues paying members
- Implement workshops and other training opportunities to develop leadership skills
- Cultivate relationships with current and potential coalition partners
- Act as the organizations’ spokesperson when needed
- Coordinate press conferences, rallies, town hall meetings, and lobby visits
- Work with the Community Task Force of Rochester to move toward school climate changes
- Help maintain a growing database of members, prospects, coalition partners, and media contacts
The candidate should have the following experience, skills, and attributes:
- Minimum 2 years experience recruiting and organizing people to work on campaigns and/or projects
- Proven ability to work independently
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work under tight deadlines
- Proven ability to work with people of varying ages, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good public speaking skills
- Willingness to go door to door
- Strong organizational skills
- Spanish-speaking ability a plus
- Knowledge of NYS government a plus
How to Apply: Please upload a resume and cover letter. Resumes accepted through September 1st or until position is filled. Salary commensurate with experience. As a racial justice organization, people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.