Lead Community Organizer, Buffalo
Citizen Action of New York is one of the fastest-growing statewide grassroots organizations in the country. We fight for social, racial and economic justice, and an America that works for all of us. Our organizing campaigns focus on issues such as education, health care, campaign finance reform, progressive taxation, and consumer issues. We have won significant improvements in New Yorkers’ lives, and we have elected progressive candidates to office. We play a leadership role in organizing major statewide coalitions including the Alliance for Quality Education and the Health Care for All New York Coalition.
Citizen Action of New York has seven regional grassroots offices, including one based in Buffalo. We are currently seeking an EXPERIENCED LEAD ORGANIZER for the Buffalo office.
If you have strong organizing experience, like working with a diverse group of people and are committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
- Organize actions, mobilizations, phone banks, media coverage and other activities as part of our issue and electoral campaigns, with a major focus on education, health care, and federal issues
- Recruit members, build our volunteer base and train local members and leaders
- Build and staff local coalitions and local Citizen Action leadership committees
- Work to develop the Board and create committees to strengthen the Buffalo chapter of Citizen Action
- Raise local funds
- Supervise staff
- Five or more years experience organizing issue and /or electoral campaigns
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A creative approach to problem-solving, including strong analytic, strategic and planning skills
- Ability to travel, including having a reliable car
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
Additional factors: Supervisory and fundraising experience; background in education and/or health policy helpful. Knowledge of local, federal, and/or New York State politics is also desired.
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate, with experience. Full health benefits.
To Apply: Please upload a resume and cover letter addressed to Rosemary Rivera, Organizing Director, Citizen Action of New York.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to build an organization that aggressively pursues a racial justice agenda. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.