Community Organizer, Hudson Valley
Citizen Action of New York is one of the fastest-growing statewide grassroots organizations in the country. We fight for racial, social, economic and environmental justice, and an America that works for all of us, not just the wealthy and well-connected. Our organizing campaigns focus on issues such as education, health care, campaign finance reform, progressive taxation, and consumer issues. We have won significant improvements in New Yorkers’ lives, and we have elected progressive candidates to office. We play a leadership role in organizing major statewide coalitions including the Alliance for Quality Education and the Strong Economy for All Coalition.
Citizen Action of New York has seven regional grassroots offices, including one based in Kingston We are currently seeking an ORGANIZER for the Kingston office.
If you have strong organizing experience, enjoy working with a diverse group of people and are committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
- Conduct one-on-one relational meetings with prospective members and volunteers
- Recruit, retain and train volunteers
- Mobilize volunteers for actions and events by securing and confirming turnout commitments
- Grow the chapter by engaging volunteers in outreach work including door knocking and attending community events
- Maintain a growing database of contacts
- Collaboration with lead organizer to advance local, statewide and federal campaigns
- Assist lead organizer with meetings and events
- Recruitment of dues-paying members
- Must be comfortable with canvassing, phonebanking and door-to-door work
- Prior professional organizing experience strongly preferred; experience in community-led initiatives and/or campaigns a must
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Docs and other CRM software
- Attention to detail and ability to prioritize multiple tasks while under deadline
- Must own a reliable personal vehicle and possess a clean license
- Evening and weekend availability
- Proven ability to work well with diverse communities
- Spanish-speaking ability strongly preferred
Additional factors: Knowledge of local and New York State politics is desired.
Salary and Benefits: Salary commensurate with experience. Full health benefits.
To apply: Please upload a resume and cover letter addressed to Callie Jayne.
Citizen Action of NY is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to build an organization that aggressively pursues a racial justice agenda. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.